TOPIC 6: WRITING APPLICATION LETTERS ~ ENGLISH FORM 4
Writing Letters of Application for Jobs
Letter a piece of handwritten or printed text addressed to a recipient. It is a written, typed, or printed communication, sent by post or messenger.
Letters of application are those ones that we write when looking for jobs. It is the type of letter that we write after school when hunting for jobs.
It is important to note that some people get job because they write good application letters.
ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS OF AN APPLICATION LETTER
Any application letter should have the following essential components: –
1. The Sender’s Address. It shows the postal contact of the writer. it contains the post office box number and the town or place. It is written on the right hand side top corner of the paper.
2. The Date. It shows the day of the month in a year on which the letter is written. It is normally placed immediately below the sender’s address.
3. The Receiver’s Address. It is the address that shows where the letter goes. It is placed on the left hand side corner below the date.
4. The Salutation. In application letters, the salutation is very brief. It consists of two words i.e. Dear Sir/Madam which followed by a comma (Dear Sir/Madam, …).
5. The Title of the Letter. Application letters have titles which state the topic about which the letter is written for. It should be written in capital letter and underlined.
6. The Body of the Letter. It can be said as the heart of the letter. It is normally consisting of paragraphs in which each with a specific function such as:
- a short introduction stating whether the writer is answering an advertisement or applying on his own responsibility.
- A statement of his age, education and experience.
- The applicant also must say why you want the job and why you think you will be good at the job.
- Lastly, to say how you will be contacted and your readiness for interview.
7. The Ending of the Letter. We end the letter with what is technically called Complementary Close. You end your letter with Yours Faithfully or Yours Sincerely.
8. The Name and Signature. Application letters must be signed by the writer. You must sign the letter and write your full names under your signature.
STRUCTURE OF THE LETTERS OF APPLICATION
Heading/Title of the letter
The Body of the letter
The ending of the letter
Signature and Name of the writer
Examples of letters of application: –
LUGUFU BOYS HIGH SCHOOL,
24th October, 2017.
NDEVU INTERNET CAFÉ,
DAR ES SALAAM.
RE: APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A CAFÉ SUPERVISOR
Refer to the heading above.
I am writing to apply for the above post which was advertised in the “Daily News” newspaper on November, 2017.
I am a Tanzania male of 25 years. I completed secondary education in 2015 and obtained good results. I went in a one year course of computer programming and I completed with the best results.
I would appreciate working with your modern and challenging company like yours. I am ready to come for an interview if necessary. Enclosed are copies of my certificates.
I am looking forward to hear from you soon.
1. Write a letter to the Electric Company applying for a job on the post of Electrical Engineer which was advertised on Mwananchi Newspaper on 17th October 2017.
2. Write a letter to the Commissioner of Police, P.O.Box 300, Dar es Salaam applying for the post of police officer as you attended JKT courses. Use your name as Lugufu Kazaroho, P.O.Box 180, Uvinza, Kigoma.
3. Imaging that you saw an advertisement in the Citizen Newspaper of 4th February 2017. In that advertisement, it was announced that the position of an ATM operator is vacant. It was moreover declared that Form IV leavers would be given priority. Write an application letter in response.
4. Assume that you are the class master of form 3 at Mzumbe secondary school. You would like your 30 students to pay a visit to Mzumbe University in Morogoro on 26th November, 2008 to see the way lecturers interact with students and how students study independently. Write a letter of request to The Vice Chancellor Mzumbe University, P.O. Box 1, Morogoro.
5. Imagine that you are working at Karume Kenge Company L.T.D and you wish to ask for permission from the General Manager. By using a fictitious name, write a letter of request.
6. Write an application letter for the following advertised job in the Daily News, Friday October 25th, 2013.
Applications are invited from mature Tanzanian citizens aged between 26 and 45 years.
- Candidates must have three years’ experience with heavy commercial vehicles.
- Driving license class A, B, C, E valid and stamped.
- Height 176 centimeters and above.
- A reference letter from a previous employer.
- Certificate of Good conduct.
All application must be submitted before January 29th, 2014.
The Traffic Manager,
Tanzania Bus Services Ltd,
P. O. Box 402300,
DAR ES SALAAM
- Write an application letter for the following advertised job in the Sunday News, Monday, September 27th, 2015.
A progressive company is looking for a qualified computer technician (1 post) who is conversant with both maintenance and IT. The applicant should be a form four leaver, fluent in English with an experience of not less than 6 months. The applicat should not be above 25 years of age and should be ready o work under pressure. Please include your referees.
All application must be submitted before February 28th, 2016.
P. O. Box 1012,
Write a letter to the General Manager, Arusha Posho Millers, P. O. Box 444, Arusha, applying for the post of an Accountant as it was advertised in the Sunday News of 21st April, 2015. Sign your name as Mzuri Kalumekenge and your address is P. O. Box 333, Chekereni.